Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Older Computer = Turn into a VPN
Green Eagle

Older Computer = Turn into a VPN
I have my older PC just sitting around and I can't find a direct tutorial on how to turn it into a VPN/Server. I just moved into a new place and received updated router that allows for a through port for vpns.

I am just not sure where to start, any advice would be awesome.

The computer I am wanting to this on, it already has Windows 10 on it, but is partitioned and I have 100 gigs ready to install Linux or anything else needed if it needs to be separate.

The processor and gpu are good to go also, I think there is the amd fx-8350 black edition in it and the mother board is fine (7 years old and claims cpu fan isn't working when it is (just restart until that is over)).

Thanks in advance for any info on setting up your own VPN server.
03-29-2019 10:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

RE: Older Computer = Turn into a VPN
Sorry Mayan, I can't help you. Only experience I've had with VPN is/was with WinXP and I could never get it to work. I don't even recall what I was doing to try to get it to work. If something comes to mind though I'll be sure and post it here.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
03-30-2019 01:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demontoe

Hi Green Eagle !
I just recently installed Fedora30 linux on the computer that I built alongside of Oldewolfe that is running Windows 7 still
on it. I don't have any experience with the VPN but I may be looking into that in the not so distant future. I would suggest doing a linux build tho since it was designed around a network operating system , it should have a lot of support for VPN. Also you could have fun playing around with a new OS and you would probably learn more about how the VPN works. peace %%-
07-04-2019 03:37 PM
demontoe

Hey guys , so far the linux drive is working but it has been frustrating even tho I've used linux in the past . Sometimes my mouse is really sluggish and I have to log back into Windows. Other than issues with the mouse it runs as well as windows. It doesn't stream video on firefox yet because of missing file types or MIME extensions of some kind, but it is a nice change from windows and has some cool games to check out too. It will probably be a while before I get around to the VPN setup but I'll let you know how it goes. It would be cool to have a file server where we could privately trade our tribal wares at ! peace
07-11-2019 02:16 PM
Green Eagle

Good to know, I haven't installed linux yet, but using the PC as a learning station for 3d printing. I have a few people coming over to see how it works and got a 2 jobs (low level income $5 bucks here and there). For me, the idea of having a VPN is because I download movies. Sometimes and I can't pinpoint it, Spectrum sends me emails saying I have downloaded something and should stop.

As I found out though, by using Spectrum Modem, vpn is blocked. So that means an investment on a pre-configured router that allows vpn which cost a few $100. So in theory, I can make the second computer a VPN, I still have to go through the ISP. SO, what is cost of having a second PC that can handle the traffic vs, just signing up with a yearly vpn network.Uhgg, still trying to figure it out.
07-12-2019 02:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3d Printing and Computer Build Green Eagle 42 13,081 01-12-2019 11:59 PM
Last Post: OldeWolfe