Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Troubles with the site
OldeWolfe

RE: Troubles with the site
GE, I have every confidence in your judgement re: the board. It has been working perfectly for me this week but please do what you think best. I support you 100%.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
02-25-2016 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

So helping out a buddy at work - long story short - I set up a myBB forum(new and fresh install) and I get this (as Pictured).

Beginning to think this is a host problem. ?? Seems to familiar!

I will be researching this with them over the next week. I use GoDaddy for the forums and our Databases and all of my websites.

Dodgy
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 01:35 AM by Green Eagle.)
03-01-2016 01:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

So, I don't know if it is a fix or not, but my hosting company sent me an email saying I had a 9gb database with them that exceeded the terms. 1gb is the limit. I have since deleted that database (really not sure how it got that big without a front end (website) to fill it. I still haven't found why/where I had this.
They were possibly throttling our bandwidth because of this. The DB had a date of late 2014 - I am sure we have had this problem since.

I was planning on rebuilding the site with Olde, but with that bandwidth shutoff notice, I think it may be corrected now and we don't have to start over (again). Please post if you are experiencing any problems.

Hopefully, no more problems, if there are please post here.

Thanks
GE
06-26-2016 11:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tasadar1

Sounds like you have the best plan in mind Green Eagle. It is unlikely that site maintenance is to blame. More likely the changing landscape of the service providers systems. Thanks for the outstanding service you have provided in keeping the site active for this long.
06-27-2016 01:22 PM
OldeWolfe

Ditto what Tasadar1 said GE, I'm confident you have a handle on the problem and with everyone observing the board now we should know very shortly if the problem we had remains unresolved. Thanks for all you do!Wink

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
06-27-2016 01:38 PM
Green Eagle

(06-27-2016 01:22 PM)Tasadar1 Wrote:  ...It is unlikely that site maintenance is to blame. More likely the changing landscape of the service providers systems. ...

I think it is a bit of both. I haven't kept up with the tech part of it and I haven't maintained as well as it could be. No need for up-votes on what little I do (I really just click a few buttons here and there). I did notice when I was putting together the 'transfer site', I was really out of the loop.

I remember when we had our first board using Php, Olde and I had to go in a physically change code to get the result we wanted, whether it was 'plug-ins', images, add-ons, etc. Imagine finding line 756 in one file code to change a single character, then finding 5 different lines in 4 other files, then uploading. Get one wrong - drawing board. All of that just to add a simple change. I think this site has been up for at least 5 years now, but this wasn't our first, or second Blush.

You can still do the modding because it is all open-source, but so much content has already been created by the communities, it is super easy now. With that being said, keeping the board up to date is important.

As you can see it has been a while since I have updated, which could have caused/cause some problems also albeit what we have is a stable version. I won't update my FileZilla ftp because the earlier version works well with windows 10, but the update messes up how it works with my scenario, so I just always click 'don't update'.

technology just moves so fast for us old timers Huh especially for someone like me whom just got his first tablet less than 8 months ago Smile. I still have a flip phone to top that off.

Anyways, I was checking tonight and it seemed to load just fine. When I get time, I will be updating the board as long as I can find a way to do it from 1.6 to 1.8 without compromise.

Btw, if I haven't said it - this site is a silver lining for me. I enjoy that people use it for what they enjoy doing. Even though I am not participating, whenever I come to the site and I see conversations and posts, it brings me to a smile to be a small cog that helps make this happen. If you think about it though (as I do), it ensures a group of long time Tribes players, have a place to come to and keep in touch. A lot of sites have disappeared and I have used the word 'legacy' before and this is the intent behind this board.

HeartHeartHeartHeart
06-28-2016 09:43 PM