Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ongoing secret project
demontoe

RE: Ongoing secret project
Well I got my kit a couple days ago and it came with a stepper and servo motor so now I just have to figure out how to hook em up. From what I've been reading it is pretty easy to put a variable resistor in the circuit with the motor to control it's speed. That might come in handy I thought. I'll probably just play around with the led lights and other weird parts until I learn more about hooking up these circuits on the breadboard. I have a pretty good knowledge of basic electronics like ohm's law and what a capacitor does but not much hands on xp building circuits so it may be slow going at first.
I did find out that the Arduino sketches are actually written in C/C++ so you write a sketch file using the ArduinoIDE (the desktop prog) and then the IDE compiles it and can load the compiled C++ code onto the board. I imagine the Arduino people added a lot of their own libraries to work with the board so once I figure it out I think it with be just what I need. Here are a few pics I should have more once I get horse out of the gate Happy

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-18-2014 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Hmmm, love videos like this, neat.

08-20-2014 06:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demontoe

Holy snikees, that is a pretty sick robot! Seems like a better design than the other lego robot and solves the cube a lot faster too. I got my speedcube from china now and I posted a few videos on youtube finally. If you want check out channel RavenToe on youtube. That is my facebook name too if you want to add me. I'll try to put up a video comparing the standard cube to the speed cube and maybe a couple solves with the speedcube if a can get a good under 60 solve (sub 60). Thx for the cool link GE.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 03:01 PM by demontoe.)
08-22-2014 02:58 PM
Green Eagle

(08-22-2014 02:58 PM)demontoe Wrote:  

Just curious, when you are doing the algorithm to solve it, what are you looking for (like in this video). I mean since your original post I have watched several tutorials on how to do it (solve a 3x3 Rubik) and I know it takes practice, but no one really ever says what they see when they look at the Rubik.

Make a vid like that and it will definitely get a lot of views. Are you only looking at one corner, the middle or something else. No one ever really turns the cube to look at all the faces. I think I may be missing something Smile Sad

At 39 y/o I am thinking about taking up solving one. Never solved one in my life though I have held a few.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2014 10:20 PM by Green Eagle.)
08-27-2014 10:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demontoe

Hey yeah the method I use is called the Friedrich method . The first step u make a cross on the bottom side, then us scan for F2L pairs to insert into the slots that the cross forms. That solve the first two layers. They don't like to do cube rotation as it slows down the solve so they learn to insert the pairs from different angles. Then the last layer is usually done in 2 or 3 steps. The OLL and PLL. First you Orient Last Layer then Permute Last Layer. It takes a lot of practice but it is mainly a blend of pattern recognition and muscle memory.

09-06-2014 02:22 PM
Green Eagle

(09-06-2014 02:22 PM)demontoe Wrote:  

At first I was like hell yea, then I got lost really quick. I thought he was going for a Blue Cross and maybe I missed him saying otherwise and then I was totally confused. Lot's of practice and I am sure it is fun. When he said to memorize the cube, I was like whaaaaa. I can see how this can def be programmed. A lot of recursive Case Statements though (probably).

Thanks for the vid, if I have time this winter, may just try it.
09-06-2014 07:01 PM
demontoe

I noticed at walmart they had a better version of the standard rubik's cube now for $10 but the speedcube I bought from China cost only $4.20 but I had to wait six weeks for it to arrive. To really get what that kid is saying you probably want a cube to follow along with. I still can't memorize the 6-8 moves for the cross in the 15 second inspection time but since it only take a few moves it is easy to see how you could get to that point with some practice. I think he forms the cross on the white side as that is pretty normal. Then the other four colors in order moving clockwise are red, blue, orange, and green. I put another vid on my youtube chan to show you guys how the standard cube differs from the speedcube in it's internal design. Keep me posted gl -g-

09-09-2014 08:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Project Freefall Latest Gorthaur 0 2,767 09-06-2014 01:32 PM
Last Post: Gorthaur
  Project Freefall Spinebuster 8 11,126 08-01-2013 02:49 AM
Last Post: Takavoncracka