Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ongoing secret project
demontoe

Ongoing secret project
Hey guys, I am currently starting a project that maybe you can help me with. It will probably take me a while to finish as I am learning how to do it as I go along. Basically my idea is to create a robotic rubik's cube that, when fully functional, would be able to detect it's own scrambled position and then solve itself without access to an external computer. The only thing connecting the cube to the outside environment would be the power cord. Ideally at some point I want the size of the cube to be the same as a standard rubik's cube.
So the plan is to use arduino board along with some c/c++ and some stepper motors and duct tape :> to build a working prototype. I have a little knowledge of C but the arduino is totally new to me. I ordered an arduino board off ebay should be here next week sometime and I'll add some pics when I get it going a bit. The motors just need to be able to turn 90 degree quarter turns in both directions so I am hoping these stepper motors will do the trick. If any of you want to help though I need motivation so we could make it a joint project and could probably make some cash at some point selling either the robot cubes or the plans to make em on ebay. ttys -g-
07-30-2014 09:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

RE: Ongoing secret project
My interest is peaked for sure. I am not an engineer or a programmer by trade. I love stuff like this.

I do not know the C language but Visual Basic is a leg of it and I do know that language a bit.

Below are some good vids I had seen before, probably worth a look if you already haven't.

A lot of the math is figured and I suggest some research.

I created a card trick Visual Basic program that I submitted in their comments section. Never really got a response for the program.
Base3CardTrick <--- for the program, it is safe. Just a fun Game.

.zip  Base3CardTrick.zip (Size: 204.29 KB / Downloads: 1)

Based on that, If you need my help or anything, let me know. Keep posting here on your progress regardless. If I see something I can add/help with; I will definitely do so.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 11:57 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-30-2014 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

That is way above and beyond me bud, my hands are full just keeping my pc running...sorry. Confused

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-30-2014 11:38 PM
demontoe

Cool. Thanks GE for the links I knew about the God's number being 20 but had not seen these vids. The main site I usually use is http://www.badmephisto.com/ I am pretty much in the same boat as the british guy I can solve it in about a minute sometimes but maybe average around 70-80 seconds. There is a program called cube explorer we may be able to use to feed the solving moves to the cube but the program would have to be able to run on a cpu inside the cube's core but maybe at first I could run the motors and cpu on the outside somehow until I figure out the wiring. I think stepper motors might be the way to go so I might order some of those soon unless something better comes along. ttys dt
08-01-2014 12:10 PM
demontoe

Basically my plan is pretty simple at this point as I try to figure out how the motors work. I'll find a decent size motor (as small as possible) and then mount six of them to the outside of a cube once I get them going. At first though I'll hook up a single motor to the outside of a speed cube to verify the the motor can make a nice 90 and 180 degree turn. One possible obstacle later I foresee will be how to get the cube to read it's scrambled position. It would be nice to be able to control it with a remote control so you could scramble it by pressing a sequence of buttons but I may have to come up with some sort of hack here. The cube can't simply reverse the scrambled sequence to solve itself as it's has to solve it using algorithms that would work on any scrambled position. In a competition a speedcuber is given a cube already scrambled so the solver has to rely on his own algs. The same is true for Q-bot! Here's a couple pics of my board with roboraptor in the background.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-07-2014 12:51 PM
Tasadar1

Dang I didn't know Gardok was a rocket scientist Smile.
08-07-2014 01:33 PM
Green Eagle

I know you have probably already searched some other machines, I seen this one. Wow is all I can say

I really hope you do a step by step video or picture series, minus some secrets of course Smile
08-07-2014 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
demontoe

Nice. I hadn't seen that one! That is amazingly fast. I saw a lego robot and a really big robot solve one using his clamp hands. I eventually want Q-bot to be able to compete against other robots and humans but it will be an engineering feat for sure. I'll post some more pics once I get my kit. Right now about all I can do it mess around with with the led lights. I'll try to make some videos too soon but I don't have much video making experience as of yet so it may take a bit.
08-08-2014 02:25 AM
Green Eagle

I saw the Lego one also. Even though it does not take 5 seconds, I watched the machine, watched the optical scanner and even though the 5 second one is impressive (watch the computer screen, it starts solving before it displays what it is doing), this one is actually more informative in the sense of reverse engineering.

I can't even see what the 5 second one is doing. I think I read a comment that said to make sure you have a "loose" Rubik so that the little motors can turn it easier.

Will def·i·nite·ly (<-- why can I never spell this word) be checking back.
edit: around 1:15 I wish I could read what the calculations it was displaying.
Thanks Bud
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014 08:51 PM by Green Eagle.)
08-08-2014 08:48 PM
Gorthaur

If that thing is strong enough to move a Rubik's cube I bet it is strong enough to rip my fingers off! I don't trust it!
08-11-2014 09:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Project Freefall Latest Gorthaur 0 3,059 09-06-2014 01:32 PM
Last Post: Gorthaur
  Project Freefall Spinebuster 8 12,369 08-01-2013 02:49 AM
Last Post: Takavoncracka