Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Hmph ... Didn't know how much Power CPU uses
Green Eagle

Hmph ... Didn't know how much Power CPU uses
Short story is that since 2008, the two places I lived - electric was included.

Around mid-April I moved into a new apartment. I get my first power bill, fine, I get my second at around $80. That is fine also, but decided to regulate my power usage. Turning out lights, started using Power Options on my PC and only used AC about 11 hours for the month (kept track - pen to paper). I get bill for the month of June - $60. The person that has the same unit as mine, I asked what does your electric average. They say about $35. Only a laptop but never uses - smartphones right.

I decide to buy Kill-A-Watt Electric meter I saw on Amazon.

I got it today and immediately tested it. I did not realize how much electricity the build uses. In the last 6 hours, I took the info the gadget displayed and made a spreadsheet:

Based on this information if the PC was running 24/7 at regular usage, it would raise my electric build by $105. I added an average daily use and this apparently is $33.67 of my electric bill.

Just made me think to share. I know some of you have higher end builds than I do, it is just that the cost was not what I expected. The surge protector that it is connected to runs 2 monitors, powered USB split, small fan, 40w lamp (3h/d), speakers and of course the computer with a 750w PSU.

I plan on keeping the Kill A Watt hooked to it for the next three days to get a good average. Pennies make dollars AngrySad

Wondering if any of you all have tested this as well?

*edit formulas are wrong, woke up this morning and plugged in new numbers and it is way off, will work on it tonight
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 09:58 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-08-2014 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FlyingShazbot

RE: Hmph ... Didn't know how much Power CPU uses
Yeah computers, especially gaming computers are very very thirsty when it comes to power usage. I live alone in a little basement suite, and one month my power bill was almost 600 bucks because I always left my PC turned on.

I can't say that I have ever had the motivation to test it and make charts like you, so kudos to you sir.
07-09-2014 01:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

So much Wow on how much your PC raised your electric.

Here is what I found out with better data. So yes, with my PC operating as I actually use it, it would raise my bill by what I stated in the other post. Now with 30 hours and power saving modes being implemented here are some better numbers.

I don't do a lot of gaming, mostly just Data stuff and watching movies. As you can see with my corrected* formulas after a days plus of use, it should only consume about $0.56 a day or add around $17 a month to electric bill.

Today is my only day off this week, so it was used a bit more. I tracked my AC usage for June and only used it around 26.5 hours and rounded up to 1 hour a day just for a cushion. Costs more to Heat than cool.

So even though I have 3 untested outlets that are no where near what a PC uses are negligible. I will get to those eventually. I am still almost $25 shy of what they charged me for = 195 KwH.

Side note: our meters are read through a satellite and transferred to them. I think they may have my meter mixed with one of the larger apartments. After I collect what data I can, I will be contacting them. I have about 6 outlets and 420 Sq. Ft. of apartment space (Studio/Efficiency). In 2.4 months I have paid about $170 whereas the studio below me is about half that.

Just a fun project that may save some money Smile

*corrected formulas where only slightly off

Attached File(s)
.xlsx  KillAWattHourTest.xlsx (Size: 15.17 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-09-2014 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

Good insight and a worthy project GE, thanks for the info. (I don't have a clue about the portion of my electric bill my pc contributes to but it is only turned on when I am using it (other than my modem and router).

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-10-2014 09:43 AM
Green Eagle

In this update: Smile What I learned.

* tested refrigerator, very surprised $0.0216 an hour. Doesn't seem like much and this is a small one, but adds up to $15.65 24/7/30.

* After 3 days on the Desk surge protector that includes 2 monitors, fan, occasionally used lamp, Computer Tower and a few more things - the final tally is that it really only uses $10.65 per month based on the average if left on 24/7/30. Which it is turned off when I am away at work, but used the high estimate.

Really neat findings. I hope the gadget I bought is correct.
*Grayed areas are tested, yellow are online references

This is the updated version to the previous.
I sincerely believe they have my meter messed up with another apartment and they are getting my bill instead of their own.

I am not sure what else to look for in regards to energy consumption. I only have 7 breakers in my Electric Box and 1 is dedicated to the A/C-Heater (can't test on this) and the other - really not sure???

Water heater is Gas along with stove = AVG($11/month).

edit: " Olde based on my direct current reading for my modem with a digital clock added, I tested it while the computer was off at 9.1 watts and ON at max 11.4 watts. I did a speed test on the internet while testing the Max to see the influx. Only raised it by a couple of watts. For my setup and router, only costs as pictured about $1.08 per month. Just some FYI.

edit 2: Just for fun, since the Kill-A-Watt can record for over 30 days. I am going to hook it back up the PC(desk) surge protector and let it do its thing for the next 30 starting tomorrow or when I remember. I think I have enough data to go to Power company with, so I will test it for 30 days and see what we find.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 10:20 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-12-2014 10:09 PM
OldeWolfe

So, to make sure I understand...are you saying that your computer (everything hooked up through surge protector) only uses between $10 and $11 per month running all the time (was extrapolated from a 73 hour test)?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-13-2014 08:48 PM
Green Eagle

(07-13-2014 08:48 PM)OldeWolfe Wrote:  So, to make sure I understand...are you saying that your computer (everything hooked up through surge protector) only uses between $10 and $11 per month running all the time (was extrapolated from a 73 hour test)?

Yes, but I have a power plan that turns off monitors after 30m and Computer after 45m (if I haven't touched it in that time, I am either walking the dog or sleeping). Even though I have a 750w (80 gold) PSU, when I looked at the watts (real time) with everything hooked up and running, it was running around 250 Watts for everything. The first picture I took was based on me using it for about 6 hours and if it was used like that for 720 hours it would cost over $100 a month to run.

After 73 hours (very little gaming) and it going into sleep mode and being turned off while I was away from home, the average is what you see now.

Now that I have tested everything, I hooked it up to the PC surge this morning and will let it run for about 4 weeks. It can keep track for about 41 days. I will have a really good average in that time. I can't wait to see the result.

So ... just loaded up Far Cry 3 as a test and went into a an NPC player area (nothing going on, just static graphics). Wattage went up to 440 while playing. This is a fun test.

If I played this game for 24 hours straight: (in action Wattage will rise*).
440w/1000*24*Current KwH Charge($0.120) = $1.26 to play based on electricity.
Not playing and staying at my normal duties that I do then for 24 hours =
250w/1000*24*KwH = $0.72.

Do that on a 30 day/24 hour binge. Game = $37.8+, Standard = $21.60 with no time outs or breaks and those are the cost on my rig. To the best of my knowledge.

* can't play and watch, need to get on knees with flashlight to look

Graphics cards is one thing that will raise that based on this 10m test I am assuming along with CPU usage.

*edit: I was gone for 10 1/2 hours today since I hooked it up the Kill A Watt back to the Desk Surge Protector. While I was gone it used 0.1 KwH as everything was turned off which is about $0.01.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 10:01 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-13-2014 09:48 PM
Green Eagle

New results for the Computer Surge Protector.
Includes:
  • 2 monitors
  • Computer Tower
  • Small fan for me
  • Flat screen TV (hardly used)
  • Lamp (swirly light bulb)
  • Powered USB splitter
  • Speaker system for Computer

In the last 151 hours of recording KwH for Computer surge protector with all of the items above I have used 17.10 KwH.

17.1/152 = Avg .1125 KwH per hour = .1125 x 720 (hours per month) x .120 (avg. rate for KwH) = $9.72 per month to run this PC and the list above.

That includes

.jpg  Cygnus Gaming Steam INfo.JPG (Size: 13.53 KB / Downloads: 9)
of gaming in that time. Far Cry 3. Actually got hooked on it. Haven't wasted that much time in for ever. (not a waste, fun).

Make sure you all have proper power management working on your PC. Before I was aware of all of this, my PC only turned off monitors and never went to sleep, hibernated or anything that had to do about Power options. It is a saver. It does suck though when you get up, walk the dog for an hour and come back, and it has to 'resume' itself. Only takes a minute or so, so I am sure you have that time.

Just some FYI stuff.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2014 10:48 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-22-2014 10:46 PM