Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Linux
Green Eagle

Linux
So, the PC I was playing T:A with before the new build I decided to clean it up, do a fresh Windows 7 install and put an old Sata 160gb HDD in it and gave it to my mom.

All is good, she has a much better PC now to check her mail and play Texas Hold'em Smile. I had given her my 2005 PC and now I have it back.

I decided to give linux a try on it, however I don't have a HDD for it, but remembered I have my first PC from 2001 stuck in the closet. I opened it up and here is a pic, check out that fan Wink (over 10 years old, never been opened and used for at least 6 years)

It has never been opened. So I took out the HDD from that one, but it is IDE and the 2005 has Sata. I noticed the Optical Disk drives were keyed the same with an IDE so took one out and plugged that HDD. Will not work due to the fact of some conflicts or something.

Therefore, I got a great deal on Seagate ST35000418AS 500gb from eBay. Stumbled across it with only 1:30m left, read the description real fast and won it for $31. I actually sniped it from another person, because my initial bid was out bid and then I quickly added $1.01 and won it, yay.

With that HDD, I plan on making the old PC a Linux machine to see and check that out and/or a server. And if I do nothing of the such, will just take the HDD and put in new PC.

Just asking what you guys think of Linux.

Thx in advance, sorry for the rambling, did not think this post out and just started typing Smile
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 10:30 PM by Green Eagle.)
09-04-2013 08:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

RE: Linux
That fan reminds me of a few in my earlier machines...nasty! I worked on a machine for a friend one time who was a smoker and the entire inside of the machine had a thick coat of nicotine...can't imagine what his lungs looked like.

To the subject at hand, I have only limited experience with Linux, and that mostly with managing a gaming server that required it, but that was years ago and I don't remember much...drivers were hard to come by and it was fun to type in the commands instead of using a Windows GUI. It should fit right in with the stuff you're learning at school, and undoubtedly you will eventually need the experience in your trade.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
09-05-2013 01:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Yep, just want to be able to say I have used it before and be familiar. Ahhh, the smoker. This machine was at my mom's house also for about 2.5 years, she is a chain smoker, I bet that is what all of that is. I am an outside smoker only, kinda makes one want to quit.
09-05-2013 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spinebuster

There are many different kernel versions of linux. I have limited experience with it but i do know that there is a gui based version of it, there might even be more by now. I tried Ubuntu a few years back. It wasnt bad but i needed to be able to use certain programs, mainly because i am not a fan of purchasing software.

Online Sports League
09-05-2013 03:26 PM
Green Eagle

After class tonight, I asked one of the others about it and got schooled a little. Ubuntu, Centos and several other versions are out. In their opinion, Centos, was more core linux so I think I will try out that first and toss it around. I have a minute to do some research before I can look at it closer, plus waiting on the HDD.

I am guessing the programs you wanted to run were only windows based? People keep saying VGW when you mention Linux, I just think it may just be a geek hipster thing, dunno, going to find out though. Smile One dude that kept talking about all the different versions runs OSX on his little Apple machine. Not knocking it to much, never tried it, just saying.

Thanks for the replies
09-05-2013 08:43 PM
Takavoncracka

Having worked with a rather large number of Linux distributions, I can say that Ubuntu is probably the most "user-friendly" experience out there. It has a very large community, a good distribution network of software, helpful forums (as a new user, you WILL need them...) and - as far as Linux goes - a very friendly interface.

Keep in mind, though, Linux is a completely different beast. It operates in fundimentally different ways than a Windows or OS X experience. It takes getting used to, but I feel I am more rounded in my PC operation knowledge having used it. There was an old Tribes knockoff called Legends ( a few here have played it... ) that ran far better in a native Linux environment than in a Windows environment. So I taught myself Linux and dual-booted the PC just to play Legends. Haven't messed around with Linux much since then, but it is very stable (leave it on for all eternity with too many issues) and actually has a few pages I think Windows should considering adding to their book.

The software repositories are an amazing innovation in working with software, and I wish Windows and OS X would mimic it. It would be a huge project, but let's just say Linux had its own "app store" before an app store was a thing. Smile Of course, it's Linux, so nobody knows that fact...

Anyway, have fun with it, be prepared to be frustrated, but also be prepared for some pleasant surprises. Smile Good luck!
09-06-2013 01:16 AM
demontoe

Hi guys! I've used linux off and on over the years and I think it is definitely worthwhile to check out especially if you have an older machine that you just use to play around with. I've heard good things about Ubuntu but I have never checked it out. I started out with RedHat linux back in the early 90's so I mainly stick to that tradition since it's easier for me to migrate to new versions. At once point RedHat decided to go commercial at which point it branched off into two directions, RedHat Enterprise edition which costs and arm and a leg to buy and maintain and the free route which is known as Fedora Core. I currently have FC10 running on my box that I built back in 2001.
That hard drive you got looks like a sweet deal GE nice sniper attack Cool Linux has evolved quite a bit since when I started using it. You can even play Team Fortress2 on it now although I still have to try that. The main advantages linux has are it's flexibility i.e. you have more choices for everything and how you want to do everything and the fact that it's free. It's main disadvantage and the reason I don't use it much compared to windows is most of the best games are still designed for windows. If it weren't for that I would use linux entirely. So what is it you are going to school for GE? I assume something computer related but what will be your main focus? Well rather than bore you with some old dinosaur tales I'll just feed you a tasty link and you can probably find most of your answers here http://www.linuxquestions.org/ You can also get the iso images there of all the popular ditributions. I would recommend either Fedora or Ubuntu.
peace dt Smile
09-06-2013 11:50 AM
Green Eagle

Thanks for the input Taka and DT, I got my hard drive installed and finally found a quick use of the new PC's top dock that let me make sure it was formated and such.

Thanks for the link DT, I am probably (will) going to register there, can't fight the fate of an established site like that Smile I am going to look into the dual boot thing also. I seen that you can have more than one OS at a time, just need to research it more. Hopefully wednesday I will balls into it.

Ubuntu is what everything is pointing me towards and as far as school (remember I am 38 y/o) was originally for database management/design and after my 2013 SQL class decided I didn't want to write SQL for a living, so for now, going for technical certificates in Web Design (html5), programming (for now VB then C++ then Java) and networking. Slow road for me, everything is out of pocket, so $ has me only taking this semester is a low level class for Html-CSS-and Dynamic HTML. 100 level.

I go to IvyTech Community college if that tells you anything for these courses. I have a separate website Ivy Tech Help that was quickly made because the type of students that go there are not at the top of there game and neither am I, but I found a great way to help others (a few) on entry level classes. It didn't prove fruitful until last fall semester.

Unfortunately, the class I am in now is a 'need to complete class' for whatever study and we are going to be 25% done with this class and are only on chapter 3. It is one of those to broaden your horizon classes I guess. We have a teacher that just shows what he does for work instead of teaching, ughh.

Anyway, I can't wait to dive into linux. I think I will look at the dual boot system. I still have the windows XP disc so I will look at installing that as well.

Can't wait for the surprises and frustrations. Not planning on running games on it for now. My biggest game I play is Scrabble off and on. I did finally get a Bingo off the gate with 'cabinet' Smile
09-09-2013 10:20 PM
Takavoncracka

If you have any questions on HTML5 or other periphery web technologies such as PHP or Javascript, I have spent years working with them. Nothing in a formal environment such as certification, but I'm fairly savvy. I wrote a little game in HTML5 a while back if you're interested in seeing it, lol. And did they really use the term "Dynamic HTML" for the course description? That's so 1999.... Wink
09-12-2013 03:45 PM