Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet connection monitoring
Green Eagle

Internet connection monitoring
I just have a quick question and I did google it and basically it took me to CNET to download monitoring software.

I was just sitting here and nothing is running except a movie. I look over and I the network meter had me constantly downloading. I reset the counters and after an hour, I have apparently downloaded 4+mb of something.

.jpg  internet connection.jpg (Size: 20.64 KB / Downloads: 39)

Should this be a concern and/or is this typical. Never paid attention to this before, but since the build I am looking at everything. What am I downloading and my stream is about an 400 B/s.

And as you can see, the system has uploaded 1+mb to the interwebz.
Was just curious. Where is any of the information going? I assume this is the PC doing checks on keeping things up-to-date. I just thought it was a valid question.

Thanks in advance

edit: after realizing this was in Public, took out IP addy's
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 09:25 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-27-2013 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

RE: Internet connection monitoring
Not sure bud but the first thing that comes to mind is Windows updates. Do you update Windows manually or automatically? 4Mb is not really that much anymore though especially over the course of an hour...not sure what it might be, hopefully someone else will. Blush Sorry.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-27-2013 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Yep, on auto update, maybe they are just shaking hands or something. I know it is not much, just wanted to inquiry Smile
07-28-2013 05:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

Just a point of preference but I turn off all my auto-updates and do them manually periodically. I don't like resources taken away from anything I am doing at the moment for updates until I am ready for them.

I suggest you set up your Windows (and others) updates to occur sometime when you normally are not on your machine ... such as late at night/early in the morning. With that 8 core processor that you have, an update may not effect your performance very much, but it might.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
07-28-2013 09:42 AM
ThePlaneswalker

I have the same gadget, love it.

As a comp tech/guru I can assure you this quite minimal traffic is normal.
List: Windows checking for "internet"; wireless/router signal handshaking (massive amounts of this of just Hi Router Hi Client!, DNS + DHCP traffic); keepalives; AV update checks; browser addons; browser update checks, addon update checks; anything with feeds (INCLUDING FIREFOX IF YOU DONT DELETE ITS DEFAULT LIVE FEED in the Favorite bar); program usage/improvement program/bug tracker uploads; chat/IM app traffic, even if off (checks for connection availability)
08-03-2013 07:51 PM
Green Eagle

Thanks for info, I assumed as much. Brings some peace to know from someone that knows. I have used other gadgets also, don't remember them, this is the one I like the best also. Besides that one, I just use the Computer Status one, Processes, Weatherbug, Analog Clock and a GPU meter.

I do have this one gadget that has no uninstall and I can't find it anywhere in the programs folder

.jpg  unKnowngadget.jpg (Size: 14.5 KB / Downloads: 16)

.jpg  unKnowngadget2.jpg (Size: 25.71 KB / Downloads: 16)

As I do, I know I was testing some gadgets out at some point with a few drinks and the next morning I had this. If anyone recognizes it, let me know. It has been on here for about 2 weeks now Sad

Here is my gadget screen

Thx in advance.

edit: Hmm, I guess it took the same inebriated mind to figure this one out. I installed a program called Open Hardware Monitor about that time. It runs in the background and I posted pics of its data back in the other thread. You can right click any of the data information blocks and say ‘add to gadget’ and now I have this. Yay Smile

.jpg  myGadgetsHardwareMonitor.jpg (Size: 16.49 KB / Downloads: 14)
Found new feature Smile

.jpg  myGadgetsHardwareMonitor2.jpg (Size: 29.48 KB / Downloads: 13)
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 10:08 PM by Green Eagle.)
08-03-2013 09:48 PM
OldeWolfe

I wonder how much those gadgets would/will pull on your resources. Any idea Planeswalker?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

08-03-2013 11:06 PM