Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building my first PC
Green Eagle

RE: Building my first PC
Oh, I am not using the docking bay. It is hooked up to one of the Sata connections though. Don't plan on touching anytime soon. It didn't work the first time I used it anyway.

Weird about the Ts3 viewer, seems to work fine on mine and we basically have the same set up. Besides putting in that info posted in the other thread, I just changed the update option to manual instead of every so many seconds.

So, I just put a stop watch on the startup of this thing. Granted I had to start my other up and walk away for about 5 minutes, this one stays on the BIOS splash screen for 28 seconds, another 20 seconds on the window's splash screen and then before it would load a program, in this case, IE the total time was 2m 20s.

That doesn't sound right does it?
07-16-2013 06:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

No, I'm thinking it should load faster than that. Is there any possibility that it is still downloading and installing Windows Updates?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-16-2013 10:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

I am up to date on all Updates, and for the last 3 hours I have been moving data around and then it locked up about an hour ago and I removed the sata plugs for the top dock and took out the HDD via 2005 and now I only have the SSD and a 1TB HDD that is partitioned. I reformatted one large partition and gave it 4k allocation and I did a BIOS default stroke.

After I did reset the BIOS, I got back in there and it only recognized the SSD. Panicked for a minute and then I surfed through the BIOS changed and finally saw the several 'Fast Boot' options and enabled. Based on opening Chrome to post this, I was able to after about 1m20s. I saw that I could change how long the BIOS splash screen would show.

At some point Ts3 view gadget quick working and I deleted it as well. Now I am surfing my external 2TB hard drive and finding about everything is a duplicate so trying to figure what I can delete and what I shouldn't.

I still haven't tested or tried to manage the wireless PCIe adapter, but with the both combined I am getting a great ping.

The CPU fan was going nuts about the time I shut her down before the BIOS default change. With 16gbs or Ram and given the CPU itself ... Should I be worried it is getting loud and sounding like a weed eater when I barely have things going on?

I had 4 sets of data transfers going on the HHD and that is when it locked up and started going nuts. 2 out of the 4 I had to shut down because it just stopped. I am going to wait until tomorrow to see where the data is and what transferred and what didn't.

Anywho, I am off tomorrow. Going to make a list of things to look at and will post here.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-16-2013 10:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Hmmm, was copying again and the 1tb HDD disapeared again in the middle and made the cut/copy null. Done for the night.
07-16-2013 11:29 PM
OldeWolfe

It does sound like you have a lot going on, but I am mostly concerned about the CPU fan going wild...how do you know that is what is making the noise...is the side panel still open?

Not sure I am following you clearly on some of the stuff you describe, and as I said you do seem to have a lot going on for a new machine with all the lock-ups. If you haven't defragmented your HDD's you probably have lots of file fragmentation, wouldn't hurt to do a defrag.

Do you have an anti-virus program installed?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
07-16-2013 11:32 PM
OldeWolfe

I'm not the expert at any of this, and try to keep things simple on my own machine because of something serious goes wrong it usually takes me a while to dig out the answer(s)...and I've been hoping that Iceman would jump in here with some ideas for you...nonetheless I have been thinking about your "copying" lockups, have looked at the thumbnail of your HDD's and don't see anything amiss, and and I am wondering:

If there may be some conflict between your Win7 64bit OS and whatever you have installed on the other HDD's that you are working with, and also...

What program/software are you using to do your copying/imaging?

The more info we have about your system and the progams you are using I think the more insight we will have and more we will be able to help you.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 01:28 PM by OldeWolfe.)
07-17-2013 01:19 PM
Green Eagle

Quote:If there may be some conflict between your Win7 64bit OS and whatever you have installed on the other HDD's that you are working with, and also...

If you look at the drive map and on the HDD you can see 100mb reserved. I had the OS installed on this drive though I had deleted the files and even deleted that volume and re-formatted it, so there shouldn't be anything there.

As for the fan, just loud whirling sounds. Case is closed but it has that side window and I can see inside the tower as I sit here.

For copying and moving things around I am just using the standard drag and drop method (cut and paste) in the folders themselves.

Other notes: the wireless adapter drivers have been installed and I get this :

I just wanted to touch base real quick. Haven't got to do anything today, been running errands and now time to get my hairs clipped.

The reason for me disconnecting the eSata dock and the 2nd HDD is because of what you said in your last post about keeping things simple. Going to do that until I know this is all running well.

When I left this morning to go to the Post Office, I decided to run Microsoft Security Essenstials and I was gone about an hour and 15 and at some point that locked up as well and I couldn't cancel the scan or get it to shut down, so I did re-start and walked away for about 5 mintues and came back and it was still shutting down, so I then did a Hard re-Boot and everything looked fine.

I just started loading some programs like Visual Basic Studio and Oracle. Going to see how those do sometime this evening.

Here is some other pics of info for CPU and MoBo

07-17-2013 02:10 PM
OldeWolfe

I run the free AVG anti-virus software on my machine and decided to do a complete scan before lunch. I have not spent that much time on line but it found 25 "threats", which appear just to be cookies to me, but I was surprised it found anything.

I wonder if somehow over the time you've been using the "old" HDD's that you've picked up some malware? I am not familiar with Microsoft Security Essentials and that may be what you use for protection, if not I suggest you look into getting a reliable av program and do a complete scan.

How did you obtain the pictures of your CPU and Mb info?

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

07-17-2013 02:54 PM
Green Eagle

CPU-Z CPUID Program

I use that program. Actually, it came with my motherboard I think, so right now I don't have the latest version hence the color difference.

Found out the helicopter fan problem for right now. In the motherboard settings gui I had it set to Turbo whereas now I have it set to silent, you can see the difference in the Pics

So the fan was like at 80% at 43 celcius. On silent mode, around 40% at same temp.

I also found this benchmark program (it is a huge program) Heaven DX11
and I am not sure what it really does, but it produces this html page after its test
.html  unigine_20130717_1931.html (Size: 3.34 KB / Downloads: 3)

Edit: Didn't want to bump

Played one match of TA tonight and same although my heat sink wasn't going nuts. Weird map. Maybe will try again soon. Got owned by chainguns again.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 11:30 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-17-2013 05:00 PM
Green Eagle

So, just looking at stuff and I finally notice this next picture:

Should any of that concern me and finally Olde, I saw the term Jumper somewhere else. Before when you said 'jumper' I assumed you were always talking about the Sata cords and just left it at that. I didn't realize that at some point there is a reason to install and remove PINS if that is my understanding now. Correct me if I am wrong.

I also did a search on the HDD that I have and it is Seagate or something, there were a lot of complaints about it not lasting more than 2 years before problems. Any file transfer fails, I am going to chalk it up to it being almost 3 years old and I am not messing with any data for a while until I get a new HDD.

So in the market for a new HDD and I saw one on eBay that had a 10,000 rpm instead of the standard 7,200 rpm.

I think I may just go ahead and get a bigger heat sink also at some point. For $30 bucks and about an hours work total. I want to protect the investment. I know it is kind of a personal thing, but I don't like to see the CPU go above 55c, and I changed my fan settings to standard instead of silent and I hear a lot of fan going on a lot of the time.

Also about Fan speed, back when I played TA and my other PC was loud with Fan, I always assumed it was my GPU fans. I didn't realize that it was the CPU fan. Hmmm.
07-18-2013 10:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Did you finish building the ark OldeWolfe? demontoe 2 3,293 08-29-2017 12:03 AM
Last Post: Green Eagle