Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building my first PC
OldeWolfe

RE: Building my first PC
Hmmm...or....woops...not sure what happened here...my above post is a response to your post and when I posted it, yours disappeared. I'm sure I didn't hit a wrong button so I suspicion you may have deleted it while I was composing my reply.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 10:53 AM by OldeWolfe.)
07-10-2013 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Lol, yea - I posted that while a little tipsy last night and re-read it probably as your were posting and just hit delete, dunno why, just did - VGO.

I think I am going to step away from the project until Friday. Thanks for the info on the thermal paste and I know all I need is screwdriver, but I bought the kit tipsy eBaying Smile, my 2005 computer I will just open her up and see what's in there, but I really want that bracelet just to be on the safe side for the new stuff.

Starting to over think it in ways, so time to step back for a minute. The build will commence on Saturday though Smile Can't wait.

http://www.frys.com/product/6798715?site...IN_RSLT_PG is the link to the maybe new MoBo, since the other post was deleted.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 10:07 AM by Green Eagle.)
07-10-2013 10:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

LoL...understood...I deleted my quotation of your post.

I've been told that I have a tendency to over-think things myself, so I know the feeling and the need to step back and take a different look from time to time.

I'm excited for you, and look forward to Saturday with you. Cool

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 11:04 AM by OldeWolfe.)
07-10-2013 11:03 AM
Spinebuster

Im just shocked because i have built machines for that much...lol.

Online Sports League
07-10-2013 03:58 PM
OldeWolfe

Understood Spinebuster, I have too.

Since my feeling is that this will be my last build I decided to spend more money and edge a little closer to the front tech edge than I have in the past. What is the adage?..."you can't take it with you". Tongue

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

07-10-2013 10:18 PM
Green Eagle

This is more of a note
Honestly, I only bring a net of $600 every two weeks, so it is tricky to get the bucks to do this.

On another note. I may have posted some time ago (around) April or so and/or January that I installed Oracle for a SQL class and since January I have done 2 re-formats.

Well tonight, I took out the Vcard and the PSU to get them ready for the new build and replaced the old 300w PSU into this one. I always thought that there was a configuration that wasn't meshing because I had to turn off all updates in order to keep a running PC. I figured it was a Vcard thing, and haven't updated it since January.

I did do a restore point and then I downloaded all updates. Hours later. I ended up doing a system restore for another hour. Yep, this computer is fried. It is back to it's original state (stable), but doesn't work past the updates. I wonder what that is about.

Just putting all of that there incase it comes in handy down the years.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 11:04 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-10-2013 10:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

How is your build going there Olde. I just got back from Fry's and $850 later I have all of the pieces. Started leafing through the Motherboards manual and it looks pretty technical. Any tips or tricks you can spare or videos you like to watch.

I have a minor concern that the OS I got today has "for use with Dell PCs" on it.

Starting it up tomorrow, will post pics

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-12-2013 09:37 PM
OldeWolfe

I'm excited for you my friend and I know what you're feeling bud. I've built close to ten machines now and updated a lot more and this last one seemed more imposing than the first one. Technology has changed so much since my last build.

The ASUS manual can seem a little daunting at first so I'd recommend that you spend some time perusing it until you get a feel for everything that it contains. You won't need to use all of it or perhaps even most of it, but some of it will be very helpful to you.

It will guide you with the motherboard such as where and how to connect your fans, CPU, Vcard, PS connectors, and your RAM configuration among other things. The Mb manual is your bible for the next few days and I always find myself referring to it month or even years later. The case manual will be helpful here too especially with the power supply, and case modifications for your DVD, back connector panel, and the standoffs if needed for the Mb (which I recommend).

As far as the OS for Dell is concerned...even if it is, it will work fine with your new build but I doubt it will even say that anywhere or have Dell icons.

As far as my build is concerned, I am on it right now. I've had a few problems but they seem to be solved now, most of my drivers are installed, and the new software takes some getting used to (I.E. 10 for example) but I'm well on my way to this being my main machine.

Good to see you stuck with the processor choice, you will be very happy with it.

I can hardly wait to see your pictures of First Boot! Angel

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 10:14 PM by OldeWolfe.)
07-12-2013 10:11 PM
Green Eagle

Thanks Olde, I am in the middle of the video for this motherboard and watching it now.

For the memory the clerk turned me to this Kingston Memory which was $5 cheaper than my orignal choice and on the QVL list Smile, not sure if that model was on the list but the name was.

I am sure I can figure this stuff out, it is the not knowing and scared to make a mistake thing that is haunting me for tomorrow.

I plan on spending all day tomorrow, with breaks and a few walk-away moments. Is it plausible for me to get this done in 8 hours? Or should I not assume that all will be done, should I consider I will not be up and running until Tuesday or so. Either is fine. I have no base line to know the answer since this is my first time. Watching the New-egg videos seams like it will be a one sitting type of deal.

Either way my main concern is installing that CPU and heat sink. Super scared to ruin it by accidentally touching it the wrong way. I got that tool kit with the ESD bracelet in today so I will be using that, but with all of that said ... we will see what see tomorrow my friend Smile Thank you everyone for your input.

For my learning curve, I will be taking pics throughout and will be posting Smile
07-12-2013 10:52 PM
OldeWolfe

You'll be/do fine, first time doing anything is a little intimidating.

The video will walk you right through the particulars and bear in mind that those assemblers in the video are experts so, it will take you somewhat longer to do what they do. I am sure it can be done in 8 hours or less and I'm sure Iceman would agree, but the point is not to break any records here, just make sure you handle your components properly with all the proper connecters in place.

As a point of reference, once I had all my components together for this current build it took me a week working off and on, maybe 2-3 hours a day with several days of doing nothing. CPU can only go in the slot one way and same for the heat sink (you did get some Artic Silver didn't you?).

Good luck my friend, but you won't need it I'm sure. Fun, fun!Cool

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

07-13-2013 12:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Did you finish building the ark OldeWolfe? demontoe 2 3,433 08-29-2017 12:03 AM
Last Post: Green Eagle