Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building my first PC
Green Eagle

RE: Building my first PC
Oldie Wrote:Glad to see you are going with the 64 bit OS, I think it is important. I decided to continue using Win7 Pro until Microsoft works out the kinks with 8.1 possibly.

My video card is an upgrade from my current Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti and is the same one you have I think: ASUS GTX650TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 Ti ...it's crazy how expensive the most recent technology in v cards costs ... so I compromised a bit here because I know I can upgrade later on when prices come down.

I also purchased my first SSD but have since heard that they have a limited life span so ... I plan to talk with the Iceman about that; I think he uses a hybrid and I want to know why he does ... so, this component may not be my final choice. Details later...

I use the onboard sound (my system is a simple two speaker set-up on my desk), so I didn't purchase a sound card. Most of the time I'm online with sound being an important issue I'm in T:A so my headset is where I focus.

Looks like our systems are going to be quite similar...this is fun! I hope to shoot at you some in T:A as a result. Cool
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 05:49 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-06-2013 05:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Dangit Oldie, I meant to delete my post and accidentally deleted yours. I used the back button to snag a copy of it. HuhSadAngryBlush

Sorry about that. How long until your build is complete. I saw the picture you added above, sweet.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 05:50 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-06-2013 05:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

Np my friend...you are the SUPERFIXER when it comes to board problems/mistakes for sure.

My new machine should be complete (as far as hardware installation is concerned) sometime Monday July 7 if all things go according to plan. I will start installing the OS and drivers sometime soon thereafter time permitting, and hopefully will have all the other software I use installed by the end of the week. I hope to be able to use it for the next T:A mixer on Saturday.

Re-reading the specs for your machine, you have inspired me to go ahead and order an additional 16Gb of RAM for my Mb which will max it out at 32...probably won't need it but I have always regretted waiting to max out the RAM on the machine that I currently use until finally it was no longer available.

I spoke with Iceman about the SSD life problem that I'd mentioned in an earlier post and he said that it had been addressed in the newer SSD's, not to worry about it and to go ahead and use it as you would a regular HDD. He put my mind at ease so I will be installing everything on it although I haven't decided to partition it or not. I won't be adding any "normal" SATA HDD's as slaves, at least for now.

Fyi, I use a program called Boot It Bare Metal that enables me to have a dual boot system along with some other spectacular options about HDD partitioning, imaging, etc. I'm told that I can install the new OS on the SSD and then enable my current RAID 0 systems and have a tri-boot option which includes the RAID 0 setup. I would like to try that eventually but the first priority for me is to get the new machine up and running smoothly.

I can hardly wait ... for both of us! Cutesmile

Oh, one last thing that I read in the Mb manual ... your power supply (600Watt) should be all you need until/unless you add a second video card to your board. My manual recommends a 1000Watt ps in that eventuality, otherwise a 350Watt should suffice (although I'd never build a machine with anything that small).

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-07-2013 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

(07-07-2013 06:04 PM)OldeWolfe Wrote:  Re-reading the specs for your machine, you have inspired me to go ahead and order an additional 16Gb of RAM for my Mb which will max it out at 32...probably won't need it but I have always regretted waiting to max out the RAM on the machine that I currently use until finally it was no longer available.

I spoke with Iceman about the SSD life problem that I'd mentioned in an earlier post and he said that it had been addressed in the newer SSD's, not to worry about it and to go ahead and use it as you would a regular HDD. He put my mind at ease so I will be installing everything on it although I haven't decided to partition it or not. I won't be adding any "normal" SATA HDD's as slaves, at least for now.

Fyi, I use a program called Boot It Bare Metal that enables me to have a dual boot system along with some other spectacular options about HDD partitioning, imaging, etc. I'm told that I can install the new OS on the SSD and then enable my current RAID 0 systems and have a tri-boot option which includes the RAID 0 setup. I would like to try that eventually but the first priority for me is to get the new machine up and running smoothly.

I can hardly wait ... for both of us! Cutesmile

Thanks for the input and the relay from Iceman. The term 'Raid' I have heard but I never totally grasped. Along with you, I will be putting all programs on a SSD and using the Sata HD as storage. I was thinking about not doing it, but I want to start keeping data separate i.e. school, work, home so I thought to have (eventually) 3 HDDs one for each at the right price. This will be fine once the HDDs drop in price because of the SSD. The tower has the space so no harm no foul I guess except the money spent.

As for the Dual boot system, I have no idea the meaning of that. It didn't even occur to me to consider something like that. I do have a question for you or the Iceman. As you saw, I am getting the Windows 7 OS, but it says 'OEM system builder' in it's title. My question is this ... Does this allow me to re-format or after you use it -> it is useless. That is a scary factor, not knowing on my part. Or do you create a system restore disc once it operating? ... and that is good enough to re-format.

I just got my bill from IvyTech for my only class next semester and is over $700 including the book so some of my timeline is changing in regards to the build. My PC as of now has frozen 2 times this evening. I really need to figure out a plan.

My intentions are not for gaming on this PC, however a gaming PC will handle what I want with that option and allow me to do so. I wonder if I should just scale back because right now I am looking at 3 months to get this PC going.

I am going to have to sit on this for a minute and think it through. The excitement of doing this is overwhelming though and I want it done. Next Friday (paycheck) I will decide to get 'er done or not really fast. I have options, but though options have to be paid back Wink
07-07-2013 10:31 PM
XMENIcemanDTM

Howdy Green Eagle...Iceman here.

Hopefully this will answer your questions.

OEM System Builder just means that the OS disk was originally licensed to someone like Dell, etc. to be included with a new computer. It is NO different from any other OS CD except that it WILL include maybe the Dell/etc. logo of the vendor it was meant for. So it will include custom Dell logo startup screens and backgrounds, etc. which you can disable easily.

Options for you. I also am AMD user, I have the 4-core black version overclocked to 3.8ghz. I have been using GSKILL memory on my last builds with no issues at all, purchased from Newegg.com. Had good luck on Asus boards.

I don't think you need that much of a power supply at all. Unless you are going to be running multiple SLI/Crossfired video cards you can get safely away with a 650watt PSU. I run 3 hard drives and one SSD with one and an ATI video card. You can use this tool to calculate your power needs. People are overly obsessed lately with very high wattage power supplies.

Power Supply calculator: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuca...orlite.jsp

FYI, unless you are going to be running multiple VM's (Virtual Machines) then anything over 16gb is overkill. I run 3 VM's on a 6 GB i7 laptop with no issues, unless you are going to run Server OS' under the VM then you might need 32 GB. Just my 2 cents.

Regards, and welcome to the club.

Iceman
07-07-2013 11:32 PM
OldeWolfe

GE, I wasn't encouraging you to consider a dual boot system or even a RAID set up, I was just sharing some background info with you about some of the choices I have to make.

Dual boot simply means I can boot my machine into either of two OS's that I use (WinXP Pro and/or Win7 Pro). I have retained my WinXP OS because I wanted to continue to use some software that is licensed to it, and also to be able to use the newer OS (Win7). Btw, Iceman has advised me not to consider Win8, but rather to wait until Microsoft has ironed out the bugs and problems and released 8.1, so I decided to stay with Win7.

You can read in detail, about what RAID means here . Redundant Array of Independent Disks is just a scheme (choice of terms?) to utilize multiple HDD's which are seen as one HDD by the OS. Reasons for using a RAID setup include speed or back up (redundancy).

Reinforcing what Iceman said about OEM OS's ... that's all I've used on the last six or so machines that I've assembled and have had no problems at all. Incidentally, I have not seen any proprietary icons, labels, or trademarks other than Microsoft (I exclusively use Windows).

Sounds like Iceman has saved you some money on your build; he really knows his stuff. Perhaps he has provided a key that will make a compromise possible between an immediate build and a three month build.

One more thing to consider that would mean immediate savings on your new build is to use your current video card (I think it is a GeForce 560 is it not?). It is a very good card, top of the line in it's day and still better than most; you can always upgrade later on, and add RAM later on too.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
07-08-2013 10:00 AM
XMENIcemanDTM

Agreed...that video card is more than powerful enough for current games.
07-08-2013 10:45 AM
Green Eagle

Absolutely, thank you guys, you have saved me some money. I was just really inquiring why raid and dual boot. Thanks for the info.

Using my wishlist as a reference, I am going to re-work it. I just assumed I needed to max out my ram @ 32gb. I will need to check on something first. I need to be able to run an Oracle DB on the PC. I loaded the full version of it on my current system and it tore it shreds, to where I felt a re-format was in order.

Thanks for the RAM vendor suggestion as well. As for the PSU and Vidcard. Since I have to take them out of the PC I am using, might as well use vid card as well. Gaming isn't in mind, but I do want to run dual monitors and have decent vid quality which I am probably assured to have with the MB and processor we are getting. I think I may be able to get this built a lot sooner than expected, leaving off just add on's like wireless adapters and such, I am just needing the OS, RAM, MB and Processor. $750 is doable sooner than later. Maybe this weekend is going to be a shopping spree. Will post revisions here tomorrow or later tonight.

Again thanks and I got my little Motherboard speaker in the mail today Smile
07-08-2013 07:45 PM
Green Eagle

I have a quick question since I decided since last post to go buy all the stuff needed on Saturday.

I was going to go ahead and order the OS on ebay and I am finding things like this --> eBay Item 1 and this --> eBay item 2

To save some money are these type of deals shady or a good idea. I know buyer beware, I just never seen that they had to send the defective or dead computer with the OS.
Thanks
B
07-08-2013 08:28 PM
XMENIcemanDTM

Spend a few more dollars on this and if you are not satisfied then you can have your credit card charges reversed. But I bet you will be fine: http://www.evaluesoftware.com/index.php?...ail&p=1960

Or this where you can download the ISO from Microsoft with the license key: http://www.designertechsoftware.com/prod...ng+systems

8 GB's will run an Oracle DB fine, BUT it depends on the load of transactions and records and that is where the CPU power will come in. Settle on a pair of 8 GB sticks for a total of 16 GB and you can upgrade later if you feel the need for 32 GB.
07-08-2013 09:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Did you finish building the ark OldeWolfe? demontoe 2 3,293 08-29-2017 12:03 AM
Last Post: Green Eagle