Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building my first PC
Green Eagle

Information Building my first PC
Hey guys, long time no talk. I check on here from time to time and I see Ts3 server has constant people on so I imagine you guys are having fun and hanging out.

Happy 4th to everyone as well.

I just wanted to start a thread to document my first PC build so I have something in writing somewhere and I know this site will be up for years and years to come. I know a bunch of you are more advanced than I in this arena so if you chimed in that would help me out a lot.

Back story:
I got the idea to build my own because I need a new one. This one is having some major issues and my last format was in April, but I had to suspend all windows updates, there are some conflicting hardware in something. What started the whole mess was installing Oracle (the full version) before I knew not to do that back in January. I installed the express (lite) version for my SQL class and then near April, my PC was freezing up and then I would get a total system stall. I had done 3 re-formats in all then finally I turned off updating and I am stable for the last 3 months.

I decided to build because of budget. I can slowly afford the different components over time, but not flat out buy a new PC all at once. I am now a week into tirelessly looking online for best Motherboards, CPU's and so forth. I have an idea of what I want now and I just received my Empty tower today. Which got me excited.

I got the Corsair Obsidian Series® 650D Mid Tower Case to start. It is beautiful Smile

I had this stack of wood in the garage so I re-purposed it for my new project:
I went and bought some casters for it ($15) and now I have a computer building platform that is the right height.

Now I have this with my new tower on it Smile
I am looking at PSU next and Processors. I am going to reserve the next post for actual bought products that I am using to preserve links and a parts list.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 09:35 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-03-2013 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

RE: Building my first PC
Reserved for Parts List: Everything is final price including shipping if necessary.

Running Sum:
  • Tower = 165.15
  • Tool Set = 21.99

Total = $187.14

Bought
Tower:
As Mentioned Above obsidian-series-650d $165.15

Any good finds or deals you guys run across, please let me know
Thanks
Brandon
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2013 09:08 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-03-2013 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OldeWolfe

Awesome! Especially since I have just received the parts for the new machine that I will commence assembling in the morning. I will respond with equivalent parts as you post as per your assembly schedule...this will be the most fun I've had putting one together. Cool

I purchased my case (and all the other parts) from NewEgg.com and went with the Rosewill Blackhawk gaming case; it's a mid-tower, with some extra fans and tooless installation. Not as nice as yours I'm sure but I've used Rosewill cases on the last three machines I've built and they work just fine for my uses. $84.99

My power supply is the Rosewill CAPSTONE-750 750 Watt. $99.99

I've used AMD processors exclusively since my first Intel processor experience and I chose the AMD FX-8350 Vishera, it's an AM3+ socket 4.0 Ghz 8 core processor. $199.99

I'll follow along as you make your purchases and add mine as you go, this will be fun. Happy

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

[Image: owprints8.gif]
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
and the autumn moon is bright".
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 10:44 PM by OldeWolfe.)
07-03-2013 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Green Eagle

Coolio, I watched the vid on your tower. I had to go buy the motherboard speaker because I didn't have it Smile

NewEgg is where I am getting my confidence. I have, within the last 2 weeks watched about 3 hours of their videos on certain things.

I am surfing PSU's because I don't intend this next PC to be a gaming computer, but I want it to have the option. Also, my mindset is this. I spent the money on a Tower.

I am to excited about this at the moment and will have to slow down. I don't know about that much about processors but I think the next purchase should be the motherboard. If I get a chance, I will be heading to Fry's tomorrow to jot down some info. Looking online is a headache at this point. I need to see the MB's themselves

Will add as I find, thanks for the info .. up in 6

Motherboard?

This was my first videos from New Egg that gave me confidence ->
http://youtu.be/d_56kyib-Ls
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2013 11:06 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-03-2013 10:58 PM
OldeWolfe

Motherboards...I usually try to save money on most of the components but I don't on the Mb. This is where I spend the most money relatively speaking.

I've used several different brands of Mb's over the years but have had pretty good luck with ASUS for the last five machines I've put together for myself and friends. I've chosen the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z for this machine. My previous computer was an earlier generation Crosshair and it has been more than satisfactory.

It costs a little more at $239.99 but it is easy to overclock (which means I can extend it's effectiveness in games later on when technology begins to age my machine) and I believe this will probably be my last machine ... so I splurged some.

I'll attach a picture later...Edit: Here 'tiz...installed with power supply too (bottom installation).

Happy 4th of July my friend! [Image: Vhtfe.gif]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolf-bane blooms,
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 05:09 PM by OldeWolfe.)
07-04-2013 10:08 AM
Green Eagle

Yea, I just got back from Fry's Electronics giving a looksie and I ran into a guy just browsing MBs and I started a conversation saying it was my first build and he claimed he has built about 15 machines. I picked his brain and he convinced me to go the AMD route. http://www.frys.com/product/7355914 is the processor I am going to get so now I just need to go motherboard shopping. And I just went up to your post and clicked on your CPU again and guess what. Total coincidence. It is the same one Smile Now I really feel like I am making good decisions Smile

Happy fourth everyone.

edit: I am going to follow your footsteps Olde. I found that MB here for a little less http://www.frys.com/product/6755545?site...IN_RSLT_PG

Edit #2:
Given that MB, I was found the Qualified Vendor List and attached it for the memory. You have built before, do you need to follow this list specifically or is it just a very good suggestion.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Crosshair_V_Formula_DRAM_QVL.pdf (Size: 98.44 KB / Downloads: 2)
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 08:37 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-04-2013 07:06 PM
Green Eagle

Hey Oldie, I am just placing this here because I may want to pick your brain a little. There are a few things I don't understand. I will be back online in a few days.
This is the Techy of the MB.

Detailed Description
(Manufacturer # 90-MIBFM0-G0AAY00 )
Code:
Specifications

CPU    AMD AM3+ FX™/Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
Supports AM3+ 32 nm CPU
Supports CPU up to 8 cores
Supports CPU up to 140 W
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology
Chipset    AMD 990FX/SB950
Memory    4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Hz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Install a 64-bit Windows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.
Multi-GPU Support    Supports NVIDIA® 3-Way SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology
Expansion Slots    3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI
Storage    AMD SB950 controller :
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
1 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
1 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
LAN    Intel®, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
Audio    SupremeFX X-Fi 2 built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™
- EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0
- THX® TruStudio PRO™
- Creative ALchemy
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
USB Ports    ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
6 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
AMD SB950 controller :
12 x USB 2.0 port(s) (8 at back panel, black+white, 4 at mid-board)
Overclocking Features    ROG Connect :
- RC Diagram
- RC Remote
- RC Poster
- GPU TweakIt
Extreme Engine Digi+ :
- 8 + 2 phase power design
UEFI BIOS features :
- ROG BIOS Print
- GPU.DIMM Post
GameFirst
iROG
Extreme Tweaker
Overclocking Protection :
- COP EX (Component Overheat Protection - EX)
- Voltiminder LED
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
Special Features    ASUS TPU :
- CPU Level Up
Core Unlocker
ASUS Exclusive Features :
- MemOK!
- Ai Charger+
ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution :
- ASUS Fan Xpert
ASUS EZ DIY :
- ASUS Q-Shield
- ASUS O.C. Profile
- ASUS EZ Flash 2
- ASUS MyLogo 3
ASUS Q-Design :
- ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
- ASUS Q-Connector
Back I/O Ports    1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port(s)
1 x eSATA 6Gb/s
1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
4 x USB 3.0
8 x USB 2.0 (white port can be switched to ROG Connect)
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
6 x Audio jack(s)
1 x Clear CMOS button(s)
Internal I/O Ports    1 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.0 port(s)
2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)
7 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
2 x CPU Fan connector(s)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
3 x Optional Fan connector(s)
1 x S/PDIF out header(s)
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
1 x System panel(s)
8 x ProbeIt Measurement Points
3 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
1 x En/Dis-able Clr CMOS header(s)
1 x EZ Plug connector(s) (4-pin Molex power connector)
1 x Power-on button(s)
1 x Reset button(s)
1 x CPU Level Up button(s)
1 x ROG Connect switch(es)
1 x Go Button(s)
Accessories    User's manual
I/O Shield
6 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
1 x 3-Way SLI bridge(s)
1 x SLI bridge(s)
1 x CrossFire cable(s)
1 x Q-connector(s) (2 in 1)
1 x ROG Connect cable(s)
1 x Cable ties pack(s)
1 x ROG theme label(s)
1 x 12 in 1 ROG Cable Label(s)
BIOS    32Mb Flash ROM, UEFI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.5, ACPI2.0a, Multi-Language BIOS
Manageability    WOL by PME, WOR by PME, PXE
Support Disc    Drivers
Sound Blaster® X-Fi 2 Utility
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus
DAEMON Tools Pro Standard
ROG CPU-Z
ASUS Utilities
Form Factor    ATX Form Factor
12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )
[size=medium][color=#FF0000]
Technical Specifications  [/color][/size]
Specification     Value
Processor Supported:     AMD
Socket Type:     AMD AM3 plus
CPU Type:     Phenom II x6 125w /AM3 plus
      Phenom II x6 x125w /AM3
      Phemom II x6 95w /AM3 plus
      Phenom II x6 95w /AM3
      Phenom II x4 125w /AM3 plus
      Phenom II x4 125w /AM3
      Phenom II x4 95w /AM3 plus
      Phenom II x4 95w /AM3
      Phenom II x2 80w /AM3
      Athlon II x4 95w /AM3
      Athlon II x3 95w /AM3
      Athlon II x2 65w /AM3
      Sempron 45w /AM3
      FX Eight-Core 125w /AM3 plus
      FX Six-Core 95w /AM3 plus
      FX Four-Core 95w /AM3 plus
North Bridge Chipset:     AMD 990FX
South Bridge Chipset:     AMD 950
Number of Memory Slots:     4 DIMM Slot
Memory Type:     DDR3
Form Factor:     ATX
Onboard Video Chipset:     None
Video Output:     None
Multi-GPU Solution:     CrossFire
Memory Channel:     Dual
PCI Express 2 x16 Slots:     3
PCI Express 3 x16 Slots:     0
PCI Slots:     2
PCIe x1 Slots:     0
PCIe x4 Slots:     1
PATA Support:     None
SATA 1 5 Gb Support:     0
SATA 3Gb Support:     1
SATA 6GB Support:     6
SATA RAID:     JBOD
USB 3 Ports:     4
USB 2 Ports:     12
eSATA Ports:     1
Firewire 1394a Ports:     2
LAN Ports:     10/100/1000
On Board Power Connectors:     24 Pin ATX
      1x 8 Pin ATX 12V
      1x 4 Pin ATX 12V
      1x 4 Pin ATX Molex
CPU Fan Header:     2x 4 Pin PWM
3 Pin System Fan:     None
4 Pin PWM System Fans:     3 Headers
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 09:03 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-04-2013 09:17 PM
OldeWolfe

RE: RAM and your question about the Vendor list...

The last Crosshair Mb would not boot for me and their support pointed me immediately at the RAM as the possible problem, emphasizing that they can only recommend the RAM on their Vendor list. I wrestled with them over that since I already had my RAM in hand and eventually they acquiesced.

I have used MUSHKIN RAM for the last three machines without a problem, but I'm certain that the RAM they recommend from their vendor list will work just as well if not better or they wouldn't recommend it. In short, it is a safe list of RAM that will work with their Mb for sure.

This is the Mushkin RAM that I bought, $139.99, and will probably get two more of the same in a few months...watching for a sale.

Incidentally, I suspicion that ASUS requires a monetary investment from the manufacturers on that list to be on that list, but I do not know that for sure.

RE: your specification lists...I am sure that I don't understand everything about all that either, but I will help you all I can. The Iceman knows a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do, and his opinion is full of experience since he does this for a living. I'll try to get him to help with your questions when you post them.

Cygnus TeamSpeak Viewer

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 09:23 PM by OldeWolfe.)
07-04-2013 09:18 PM
Spinebuster

I would suggest using crucial memory on an asus board. I think i have had 3 asus boards now and have run crucial memory on all of them with no issues.

Good choices on CPU and motherboards though. Gigabyte also makes a good motherboard as well.

Online Sports League
07-04-2013 11:11 PM
Green Eagle

Thanks Spine, I am riding Olde's coattails on this one though. I sat down and did the numbers. I have the tower, a 600w PSU and the nVidia card I bought to play T:A from Dec-2010. Having all of that, everything I want for this PC costs as follows:
* Processor AMD (listed above) $200
* MB $200 (Oldie's pick)
* SSD for programs $75
* OS Windows Prof $139
* HDD 1Tb Western Dig $80
* Standard Optical $40
* Wireless PCI card $80

and RAM I still need more information on. What I initially looked at was around $200 for a total of 32gbs

I really want an 850w modular power supply also $160 and eventually a new graphics card.

I think my plan of attack will be to just sit on the money until I have about $1200 saved up and then go on a shopping spree and in the meantime, just check online here and there for specials and deals. I am very hesitant about buying MB and CPU online because of possible problems and return hassles, but SDD, HDD, PSU and OS no problem. Will search for better prices than listed above.

I am in that excited mode right now and honestly I had $1000 in my pocket when I walked into Fry's (not really spendable money on this) and I had to talk myself down from flat out buying stuff. Didn't spend a dollar Smile talk about will power.

Thanks

Oh, the cheaper one I found Oldie has a few different parameters such as USB port configurations. I am still going with the lesser one, since this is my first build.

Edit:
Here is my wishlist that I am going to build from. Things will change as time carries, but the basic jist of the end result. Smile

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 10:18 PM by Green Eagle.)
07-05-2013 09:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Did you finish building the ark OldeWolfe? demontoe 2 2,777 08-29-2017 12:03 AM
Last Post: Green Eagle