Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New format idea: Weekends 10v10
ThePlaneswalker

New format idea: Weekends 10v10
I'd say we could try for 2 big teams (10-12 each?) playing Saturdays going for a best of 5. Its like pickups, but we keep teams for a while. Also, we could have a second set of 2 teams (just another round of picking from everyone present, some could play both nights) that play on Sundays.
The Saturday victors could play against the Sunday victors in a final round for an additional game.. if the involved players schedules worked out.

Major benefit is larger teams means more positions to fill and have a hot action game, less stress of having unbalanced teams, getting bulldozed by the enemy and only having 5 guys to scramble with to get back to order.. standoffs not easy to break..etc.

Opinions?
04-20-2013 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JaggedMarble

RE: New format idea: Weekends 10v10
Umm I'm kinda confused as to what the goal would be with this format. It seems like it would leave people out in the case of having more than 20 people and it also assumes we'd actually have 20 people. We usually get around that on Saturday but not Sunday. I like the idea of keeping teams when we have good games but we usually do that anyway. The exception coming when several people are leaving and the resulting teams are unbalanced.
04-20-2013 05:42 PM
Clide

I would agree with Jagged on this one. It seems as though that format is very much like the mixers we currently do, but with the added restriction of needing everyone's schedules to line up.

The mixers seem to be the biggest "bang for our buck": everyone generally has fun, no one is "required" to be there, and those who happen to show up are not left out. This seems like the best option for as many players as we have. We may be able to address having a more structured tournament if anything comes of speaking with the CAS folks, but until then the mixers fulfill my desire for structured Tribes play. (Even if our group grows, it might be best to stick with the mixers for a while so everyone can get to know everyone else. We may even be able to run multiple servers with different types of games and maps (when last did we mix on Sunstar?))

What sets us apart from other groups, in my eyes, is that we are not sore losers (we really mean our vcgc's) and have a code of conduct that can be generally summed up as "don't be an asshole." In my experience structured play tends to undermine this and can create bad blood (especially when substitutes are involved)

Lets keep mixing, inviting others to mix, and keep things lighthearted and casual.
04-20-2013 06:38 PM
ThePlaneswalker

Okay, clarifying, the format would be something we could do in lieu of the more structured games already set up. It would occur same day only - we'd make teams, and play out best of 4-5 (time allowing). So its basically just a little more structure on a random pickup, mainly in that we stay on the same teams and continue to build some intra-team skills and strategies as the night progresses.

Further weekend matches that happen can create a victors list, and if we felt like having the weekend warrior playoffs we could have a game with wk1 winner vs wk2 winner (given those players were in enough attendance; if not, it doesn't matter.)
04-23-2013 02:01 PM
Spinebuster

I like the idea but it seems our attendance dwindles when tournament matches are played. We need to continually bring in more people for the mixers on saturdays and play the tournament matches at a different time.

Online Sports League
04-23-2013 04:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Idea to make Seasons 4 7v7+ without missed games JaggedMarble 16 16,157 06-01-2013 10:22 AM
Last Post: OldeWolfe
  Off weekends: Boost our badges? ThePlaneswalker 3 4,817 02-22-2013 01:58 PM
Last Post: ThePlaneswalker